Friday, April 26, 2013

Downer: reflection 2


I felt that the four students had a good start to breaking words into syllables after the first lesson we worked on. I wanted my second lesson to be with the same four students because I new they would need additional help since this was a new strategy for them. I wanted the students to have another strategies on how to break words into syllables. This lesson I focused on helping the students look at ending suffixes. At the start of the second lesson we reviewed the rules of the first lesson, the students struggled with this greatly. They forgot all the rules and had difficulty splitting up words we worked on last week. I focused most of the lesson on reviewing the rules and strategies on how to break words up into syllables before introducing another concept. By the end of working with them they were begging to have a better understanding on how to break the words into syllables and sound out difficult words.
 I then introduced the next strategies; they picked up on this very fast. They were able to identify endings very easily and quickly understood that endings were there own syllables. I then provided words for the students to work on. The students did a great job of having the ending be a syllable, however they struggled with breaking up the rest of the word. This is a difficult concept that I believe the students will need a lot of practice because they do not receive this skill in the classroom. The students are in the sixth grade and are already expected to know how to sound out words. This has made me realize that even if students are in a higher-grade level it is important to once and a while review basic concepts because sometimes they are forgotten. Reviewing how to break words into syllables would help out not only my four students but also a lot more students in the class. At the end of the lesson it was clear they were able to sound out words better, I informed my teacher on how they were doing and she said she would continue to work with the four students so that they continue to improve sounding out difficult words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment