Sunday, April 14, 2013

Downer:reading lesson plan 1



Reading Lesson Plan # 1

Rationale: The students are reading teaching spirit bear by Ben Mikaelsen, after listening to two of my students reading the book they kept on running into difficult words and skipping over them because they were unable to sound out the words. I decided to use these two students and my mentor teacher suggested another two students that also struggle with sounding out words. It is a very important lesson to learn how to sound out difficult words so that when reading and one comes to a difficult word they are able to sound out the word so that the sentence makes sense.
Objective for this lesson (performance, condition, criteria): students will learn how to break up words into syllables using the syllable rules provided in the Tompkins book.
Materials & supplies needed: list of words, syllabication rules (Tompkins), paper,
Words I am going to use:
           Accompanied                innocent
           Pretended                     punishment
           Banishment                  abandoned
Procedures and approximate time allocated for each event 

Introduction to the lesson (5 minutes) 
    Growing up I always struggled with sounding out difficult words and being able to break long words up into syllables so that it would be easier for me to sound out the words. I was taught some simple rules to help me and I am going to share those with you today. This way you all will be able to read any book you want and be able to sound out difficult words. Have any of you been taught how to break a big word up into smaller syllables?
OUTLINE of key events during the lesson 10 minutes)
    I am going to give you six words and I would like you to draw a line between the different syllables, I just want to know what you all already know. Try your best, this will not be graded and will just help me see where everyone is at.
   (I will quickly look at the work as the students are dividing up the words, I plan on the students having difficulty since I do not believe they have been taught rules on how to break apart words)
   Thank you everyone for breaking up those words, was it difficult or easy for you to know where to put a line to create a syllable
-        hard because I just guessed I didn't know where to correctly place a line
       well that is great because that is what I am going to teach you today, I have five short rules that you can follow        when trying to break a word into different syllables.
-        rule one: when two consonants come between two vowels in a word, divide syllables between the consonants.   Example: cof-fee, bor-der
-        rule two: when there are more than two consonants together in a word, divide the syllables keeping the blends together. Example  bank-rupt, mon-ster
-        rule three: when there is one consonant between two vowels in a word, divide the syllables after the first vowel. Example bo-nus, gla-cier
-        rule four: if following the previous rule doesn’t make a recognizable word, divide the syllables after the consonant that comes between vowels. Example meth-od, doz-en
-        rule five: when there are two vowels together that don’t represent a long vowel sound or a dipthong, divide the syllables between the vowels. Cli-ent, qui-et
      lets look at the list of words that I have provided to you earlier to work on and lets take another look using these rules.
Closing summary for the lesson (5 minutes)
great job everyone on correcting your mistakes and using the rules to help you break up difficult words. Did you all think it was easier to break up the words using the rules? Why is it important to break up long words into syllables? Next week we are going to continue on working on this, until then I want everyone to remember the rules and use them when ever you have a long word that needs to be broken up.
Ongoing-Assessment:
I will make sure to hear these students read throughout the week so that I can hear if they are sounding out words and breaking words into syllables so it is easier for them to sound it out or if they are just skipping over the difficult word.
Adaptations: Based on what you know about your focus students, what Academic, Social and/or Linguistic Support will be needed during the lesson?
I will need to make sure that my students understand the words that I have provided, it will be important that I provided a definition to the words so that they are able to connect a meaning to the word.

I will also need to provide time for the students to talk and work with each other, the students struggle with just sitting and listening to instructions so I plan on having the students talking and working with each other and always being involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment